Tuesday, April 12, 2016

12 - On Childhood & Cafe Esse

"Cousins are usually your first childhood playmates..."

We spent our childhood days playing on the streets, and occasionally pulling each other's hair. We had our share of petty cat fights, both with and against each other. But then we all grew up, took different paths and what used to be our everyday thing became a once in month, once in a year, or a just on a whim event. Conversations usually start with our common ground: our childhood memories.

"Remember when we used to tease that girl living near our grandparents' house? Or that guy we all had a crush to? What ever happened to the old man who asks for water every time he passes by our ancestors' house?"

and so on and so forth. There are a lot of stories to tell and laugh about. It's as if we're in a snow globe where time is stuck. There's a nice, homey feel to it. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

"... who grow up to be forever friends."

04.13.2016
____________

This year's on a whim meeting took place at Cafe Esse, a coffee shop situated at the 2nd floor of CEO Building, Sumulong Memorial Circle. This is near the Mcdonald's across Unciano Hospital. It's a cool, charming place with "not a lot of people" (probably the reason why I liked the ambiance in the first place). Wish the chairs/sofa are more comfortable though. Anyway, since they are not serving rice dishes, we opted for pasta and sandwich for our dinner.

First, we ordered the Cheesy Beef Mushroom (P180).


What I love about this dish is actually the potato chips. The chips were fried to perfection! It was my kind of salty so yeah, next time I should probably order the chips ala carte. The sandwich was so-so though. I'd give it a 3/5.

Next is the Cheesy Meat Fries (P95). As a potato lover myself, I found this one mouthwatering and delisyoso. Personally, I think the serving is too little for a P95, so I'm giving this one a 4/5. 


Next is the Spaghetti Meatballs (P180). I love my spaghetti tomato-ish. Cafe Esse's spaghetti meatballs is just the right kind of sour! Honestly, I am very picky when it comes to spaghetti but this one's right off the bat. Of course, you may contradict if you love your pasta sweet. (P.S To better understand my taste in red sauce pasta, I do not eat Jolly Spaghetti). Rating: 4/5.


We also tried Creamy Carbonara (P180) but I am not a fan of cream-based pasta. I did not hate it though, but I probably won't order this one again. Rating: 3/5.

Overall, the place is a good breather if you're considering a time-off from your daily activities, or if you want to hang out with special childhood friends you haven't seen for a long time. I'd probably come back later and try their desserts and coffee.

-Cheng.

__________________

Also, sharing with you some photos of our get-together: 


 












No comments:

Post a Comment